I would like to apprise you of the work done and being done by KIIT and KISS in partnership with the Government of Odisha, Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation and Commissionerate Police (Bhubaneswar and Cuttack), some civil society partners as well as in our personal capacity. Our efforts aspire to be a drop in the ocean, in bringing smiles on their faces.
To briefly cover the points,
1. India’s first COVID Hospital at Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS) is ready and operational. The patients are being treated in KIMS. The Chief Minister of Odisha, Shri Naveen Patnaik has encouraged and supported the establishment of this speciality hospital. This COVID Hospital is functioning from a block of KIMS with a dedicated team of doctors, nurses, paramedics and housekeeping staff. Recovered patients have praised the efforts of hospital.
2. KISS Balangir & KISS Mayurbhanj are also functioning as COVID 19 hospitals, along with a further dedicated COVID 19 Hospital in my parliamentary constituency Kandhamal in association with the district administration. These are each 200 bedded hospitals managed by KIMS and round the clock service following WHO and ICMR guidelines.
3. KIIT and KISS had started its own initiatives way before India declared a national lockdown. All the students in the various schools and University campuses were safely sent back to their homes well ahead of the lockdown. KIIT is the first University to have begun online classes and online examinations for 30,000 children. In KISS, the students are in contact through what’s app groups.
4. A further separate team has been assigned to deliver cooked food to police personnel on duty. Lunch is provided every day to more than 2000 police personnel and other front-line warriors across Bhubaneswar, Odisha’s capital city. Food is also delivered to police personnel in adjoining cities of Puri and Cuttack.
5. A team has also been distributing family survival packets that comprise of essential food items – rice, pulses, cooking oil etc. to disadvantaged people living in slums, needy, poor and children. KISS has extended the helping hand to villages of some of their sportspersons like Dutee Chand, Sumitra Nayak and Munna Murmu on their request. Besides KIIT and KISS has also reached out to the red light areas in Bhubaneswar and distributed dry food items. 15 districts are covered by KISS till now.
6. After some areas in Bhubaneswar were marked as containment areas, KIIT and KISS is distributing food and essential items to those people stranded in these specific clusters, so that they have no need to venture out and risk themselves and others.
7. KIIT and KISS is working with the Government of Odisha to provide support in the form of all its available resources – logistics, infrastructure, healthcare, human resources etc in its various activities at grassroots.
8. KISS Balangir & KISS Mayurbhanj are also functioning as COVID 19 hospitals, along with a further dedicated COVID 19 Hospital in my parliamentary constituency Kandhamal in association with the district administration. These are 200 bedded hospitals managed by KIMS and round the clock service following WHO and ICMR guidelines.
9. KISS is also working closely with the American Embassy in evacuation of personnel who have been stuck in Odisha and other adjoining areas.
10. KIIT and KISS has been distributing cooked meals to migrant labours from Bihar who are stuck in Odisha besides taking care of food security and health safety of many odia migrant labours stuck in New Delhi, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, West Bengal and Maharashtra
11. KISS is also distributing feminine hygiene products to women and girls in all the districts of Odisha. Till now, over 1 lakh units have been distributed
12. Tele counselling Cell has been set up to provide support for the people experiencing stress during trying times .
13.The students of KISS are creating awareness on Social Distancing and respiratory hygiene in their respective districts. Besides under Project Uday, massive awareness camps have been organised at market places and through door to door campaigning on Social Distancing, handwashing and proper usage of masks. 500 volunteers are involved for this purpose and 220 villages in aspirational districts of Rayagada, Koraput and Malkangiri has been covered. They are also helping the state government in monitoring and administering Quarantine Centers.
14. KISS and Sakha have joined hands to provide ration and essential items to Transgender Community in Bhubaneswar and Rayagada
15. KIIT and KISS has adopted two old age homes in Chandragiri – a Tibetan settlement area in Eastern Odisha. KIIT and KISS have provided one month supply to the tibetan population in Chandragiri and Padmasambhava Monastery in Jiranga, Odisha. KIMS is supporting a hospital in Jiranga and provided PPE to the healthcare workers.
16. KIIT-Technology Business Incubator (KIIT-TBI) is recognised as a Centre for Augmenting War with COVID-19 Health Crisis (CAWACH) under Department of Science and Technology (DST), GoI, along with similar institutes from IITs & other eminent Universities in India. KIIT-TBI is responsible for implementing this program in East & NE.
17. Conducting a survey on behalf of UNDP India on migrant labour for policy level change
18. Personally, I have given my three months salary as an MP to CM Relief Fund. I am writing inspirational blogs everyday to drive home the point of Compassion. Also, at KIIT and KISS, we have declared that we will not terminate any jobs or trim the size of employees. Salaries are given despite the crisis, with a bit of deferment. I have convinced the employees that their job is secure. I have also been building ans boosting confidence of our frontline workers in Covid Hospitals besides other healthcare workers who are regularly working beyond duty hours for attending patients with other diseases.
19. Amid the lockdown restrictions, the KISS management has arranged the delivery of dry food including flattened rice, sugar, dal and biscuits besides soap, textbooks and allied study materials for the 30,000 students of all classes at their doorsteps. The materials were dispatched in 25 buses to different districts in the State. Food and study materials is being handed over to the guardians of the students at specific locations.
I Can Do Things You Cannot, You Can Do Things I Cannot; Together We Can Do Great Things. And we will defeat Corona.